Wherever we operate in Africa, even in the most challenging environments, our goal is to lead by example and set a new benchmark for world-class HSSE policies and practices.
This commitment is fundamental, enduring and non-negotiable. Our performance to date has been very positive, with the key metrics showing that we have met or exceeded our tough goals in many vital areas –for example, Total Recordable Case Frequency (TRCF), where we achieved a rate of 0.35% by the end of 2013 - an industry leading performance. But there is always more to do.
Our focus is on five critical areas:
- Goal Zero no harm to people or the environment is our number one priority.
- Transport Safety - we invest significantly in training, technology and the adoption of best practice to continually improve in this area.
- Process Safety - wherever we operate - service stations, terminals, LPG filling plants, tanks, shipping, aviation, customer sites - we place the highest emphasis on process safety.
- Contractor Safety Management- we require contractors and partners to manage their HSSE policies and practices in-line with ours.
- Environmental Impact - we actively monitor our environmental impact, act decisively to minimise the impact of any incidents and are transparent in our public reporting.
At Vivo Energy, we are equally diligent in reporting incidents and identifying potential incidents. It’s part of a company-wide culture that extends to employees, contractors and partners alike. Indeed, for our employees, adherence to HSSE policy and practice is a performance target linked directly to their pay.
We know that our retail and commercial customers recognise and value the standards we set ourselves in HSSE and social performance. We also know that the maintenance and advancement of these standards will play a key role in winning new customers, building loyalty, engaging communities, motivating our employees and growing our business.
Health Safety Security and Environment considerations are an integral part of every activity that takes place in Vivo Energy. We demand strict adherence to our rigorous HSSE standards and procedures. We support our staff, contractors, resellers and customers in complying with our rules and implementing our requirements. We aim to have a performance we can be proud of, to earn the confidence of customers, shareholders and society at large, to be a good neighbour and to contribute to sustainable development.
- James Ngethi, HSSE Head